One of the most famous sight in Transcarpathia region, the castle was built on the volcano rock in the right bank of the Ung River, was already present in the chronicles of Hungarian history. In the 12-13th centuries the castle belonged to the Hungarian kingdom and during centuries the castle owned by various noble families. Today"s, castle was built by Drugeth, the castle was owned by Drugeth for nearly 400 years. After the fall of the War of Independence of 1703-11, the fortress became the property of the Austrian Emperor.
In 1728 the castle was burnt down and its restoration was completed later. At present, there is a Transcarpathian Historical Museum, which has nearly 30 halls with different kind of exhibitions, including the permanent exhibition of the history of Transcarpathian from the 8th century to the 1920s. The exhibition of arms history dates back to XVIII-XIX centuries, sharp weapon and firearms, including the Polish King István Bátori’s weapon and the sword of the Prince of Transylvania. In the garden, you can see the Turul bird that once erected a monument to Vylok’s 200th anniversary of the First Winning Battle of the Rákóczi War of Independence.